Historic Context & Ownership Chronology
The Elliott-Buckley House is situated at the extreme southeastern boundary of Ulster County, a short distance south of the hamlet of Marlboro and roughly six miles north of Newburgh, Orange County.The Town of Marlborough, within which the hamlet is located, was first settled around 1700. It was formed as a separate entity from the Newburgh precinct in March 1772—prior to 1798, Marlborough fell within the bounds of what is now Orange County—and was established as a township in 1788. Transportation to and from the Hudson River was facilitated by means of a dock established north of present-day Milton, and one further south on Jew’s Creek, a navigable point of entry. A turnpike provided for overland transportation between the hamlets of Marlborough and Newburgh at an early date; this road bisected present-day Balmville, an area developed with large estates in the second quarter of the nineteenth century. Newburgh was settled c. 1712 by Palatine Germans and established as a village in 1800. It assumed regional importance with the c. 1808 completion of the Cochecton Turnpike, which linked its Hudson River landing with the Delaware River, encouraging the economy of the larger region. Early development in Marlborough followed a somewhat predictable pattern, with the establishment of hydraulic-powered mill enterprises along its various water courses. The nature of the local soil made them undesirable for agricultural endeavors at an early date, though they nevertheless proved well suited for the cultivation of fruit, which emerged as an important local horticultural enterprise in the nineteenth century.
The Elliot-Buckley house’s exterior reflects the original mid-nineteenth century construction campaign in addition to subsequent historic period modifications. Built in 1843, the cross-gabled form and massing strongly intimate the influence of the Picturesque movement and the influence of A.J. Downing’s book Cottage Residences of the previous year; precedents for the original plan may well derive from this source, as well.
Original interior finishes, however, were in the Greek Revival fashion and as such convey the transitional nature of the design and the shifting tastes of this era in domestic architecture. The house is of heavy timber-frame construction employing both sawn and hewn components, the exterior sheathed with clapboard; it was built above a stone foundation. It was erected on a T-shaped plan and by c. 1890 included a small multi-story projection on the south side—it is not known whether this was original— however c. 1924 a two-story extension containing a kitchen on the first floor and additional rooms on the second floor was added, and the small south wing was replaced with a porch. The original plan consisted of a centrally located entrance hall behind which was, situated to the east in the rear projection, the dining room. To the south of the entrance hall was a full depth parlor, to the west a smaller sitting room and stair hall. Fireplaces were contained on the east wall of the dining room, and the interior walls of the parlor and sitting room. Kitchen facilities were originally housed in the basement and bed chambers on the second floor. This plan remains fundamentally intact, excepting the small south extension that appeared in the c. 1890 photograph and was replaced by a porch, though augmented by the 1924 north wing. Finishes in the original section are substantially intact to the date of construction in 1843.
John Buckley was working for the Cornwall Cotton Factory in 1815, when he purchased a small farm and farmhouse in Marlborough. The family lived there for some years, until the present house was bought from Daniel Elliot in 1863, a house fitting for a successful property and factory owner of the time. The of 1854 shows the properties held by Merritt, Elliot and Buckley at that time.The house is listed on page 53 of the Survey Inventory. At the time the survey was taken, the actual date of construction and the name of the builder were not known.
A sweeping circular drive allowed easy access for carriages, with the stable and carriage house adjacent. The house is built in the Federal style, with later Victorian decorations added to suit the fashion. Some of this gingerbread was removed when a wing was added in 1924 containing a kitchen on the first floor, and a bedroom and bathroom on the second floor. An in ground pool was also constructed at this time.
The design of the appears borrowed from that on the house in Danvers, and opens onto a spacious front hall leading to the formal dining room, to the right a large parlor which opens onto the south porch; to the left a smaller hall opening on a library, the entrance to the front stairs, and the scullery, which leads to the present kitchen. The main rooms on the first floor all have 14 foot ceilings. The second floor, having 12 foot ceilings, contains a long wide hallway, four bedrooms, two anterooms, and a second floor porch with a seasonal view of the river. The third floor contains an attic, two central rooms, a bathroom and two bedrooms. A back staircase connects the three floors. There are six marble fireplaces. In the full basement, one can still see the original bluestone floors in rooms which were the original kitchens.
Owners, based on old deeds
Dennis Doyle sold 132 acres along Old Post road to Leonard Carpenter in 1833.
Carpenter sold 58 acres of this parcel to Daniel Elliot in 1843. He built the house and took possession in 1844. The house location described as Elliot is on the 1854 owners map next to a Merritt house and across the road from Carpenter residences.
Daniel Elliot sold the 58 acres and house to Thomas T. Buckley in 1863. Thomas conveyed this parcel to Charles Buckley in 1883.
The 120 acres of Buckley property pictured in the Beers map of 1875 was acquired in a series of purchases.
In 1822 John and Phebe Buckley and John and James Thorne bought 12 acres from Aniare and Mary Angell for $5150. This parcel starts from the dam over Jew’s Creek which flows past the Gomez house into the Hudson River.
In 1827, James Thorne, John Buckley and John Thorne bought 21 acres from Samuel Drake and his wife for $1200.
In 1868 Thomas T. Buckley bought 7.75 acres from Gabriel Merritt, thus extending the property from the Episcopal Church to Jew’s Creek.
Agnes B. Buckley and Mary B. Buckley, the widows of John D. and Charles R. Buckley sold their property in May, 1920, two years after Charles died in 1918 to Frank F. and Augusta T. Young.
On November 1, 1923, the Youngs sold the property consisting of 73.9 acres to Lillian M. Dunlop of Rockland county.
Leah Dunlop, widow, sold 72 acres to Norman Macbeth of Quaassaick Avenue, New Windsor, NY on July 27th, 1950.
Norman Macbeth of Old Post Road sold part of the property to Jackson H. Baldwin Sept 28th, 1959, and the house and 3.079 acres to Romuald and Sharon Lanthier.
The Lanthier family sold to Richard and Claudette Hennessy in 1972. The Hennessy family are the present owners.